Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

My 17 year old daughter had Tonsilitus earlier in the year

Customer Question

My 17 year old daughter had Tonsilitus earlier in the year and was treated with Antibiotics, she then got it again and had antibiotics, she did not have any pain this time but the right tonsil was enlarged, it went down afteranother course of antibiotics but as soon as she had finished the course it swelled up again.( when she was a child and had tonsilitus at times it was always the right side that was swollen.) Now, 3/4 months later she still has the swollen tonsil but also blocked ears and nose. We went to the GP who said she had classic hay fever symptons after checking her throat and nose. the GP prescribed a antihistermine and a nose spray, she is still bunged up, the tonsil is still enlarged and she is feeling tired from the tablets, what can you advise, I am worried more about the enlarged tonsil, but the GP did not seem concerned, she is fit and well otherwise
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 4 years ago.

Mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Mysticdoc :

Hi there,

I am Mysticdoc, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to help you with your concerns.

Mysticdoc :

Based on your information, it is likely your daughter has another tonsil infection.

Mysticdoc :

This is the common cause of tonsil swelling.

Mysticdoc :

Another possibility can be tonsil abscess.

Mysticdoc :

Besides thsse, tumor is another possibility.

Mysticdoc :

Tonsillar tumor is rare but should be considered.

Mysticdoc :

It is better to see a ENT consultant and consider surgical removal of the tonsil given the recurrent infections.

JACUSTOMER-p3diyy63- :

You have worried me now regarding a tumor

Mysticdoc :

That should be considered since the persistent swelling of one sided tonsil.

Mysticdoc :

This is a small isk but should not be neglected given her scenario.

Mysticdoc :

and recurrent infections are also indication for tonsillectomy

JACUSTOMER-p3diyy63- :

Ok , but she has no pain, sores on the tonsil and the GP thought it was hay fever, why would she be bunged up as well?

Mysticdoc :

that is due to the cogestion and inflammation of the eustachian tubes connected to the throat from the ears.

Mysticdoc :

Also sinus congestion is common.

Mysticdoc :

Although tonsil pain was not there, infection can spread from the tonsils to the sinuses and ears

JACUSTOMER-p3diyy63- :

So it is more likely to be that than a tumor?

Mysticdoc :

yes correct

JACUSTOMER-p3diyy63- :

Thank you, sorry just a worrying mother! I have advised her to stop taking the antihistamines as they are making her tired, should I get her some non drowsy antihsitmanes from the chemist?

Mysticdoc :

yes non drowsy loratadine or cetrizine will be better.

Mysticdoc :

very welcome

Mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

Please rate the chat Good or Excellent, if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

JACUSTOMER-p3diyy63- :

Ok thank you, do you think I am worrying over nothing, she feels fine

Mysticdoc :

do not worry too much since she is fine otherwise.