Dr. Natasha
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine, Ivy League trained
16455829

The area on my left side nearer to my back is really sore to

Customer Question

The area on my left side nearer to my back is really sore to touch just under my ribs
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 3 years ago.

Doctor Cameron :

hello

Doctor Cameron :

welcome to the chat

Doctor Cameron :

are you still thre?

Doctor Cameron :

*there?

Andrea-
the chat did not work
ANy other medical problems or medications?
Nausea or vomiting?
How would you describe the pain?
Burning?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi No Nothing - pain is very slight most of the time but hurts when pressed

Does the rib cage itself hurt? Or does it feel like it is more in the abdomen?
Any foods trigger it?
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Hi there. I would like to help

Common problems here would be...

1)muscle strain. This would be likely if you had any new activity. Like pushing or pulling.

2)rib fracture or strain. This is common if you have been sick and coughing.

3)if there is no inciting event this could be a shingles attack coming on. Often times before the attack there is pain without rash. This is a common location for that too.

I recommend a thorough physical exam by your GP.

Do any of these sound possible?
Hi Andrea
I am sorry that you were not around to answer my follow up questions.

At any rate, I have given your question some thought.

If the pain is on the surface of the skin and it hurts when you press, it is likely to be musculoskeletal pain- meaning that the cartilage of your ribs can be inflammed or the muscle. It is unlikely to be a rib fracture unless you had some trauma.

If you feel that the pain is burning in any way, it could be shingles- you can have lesions or you may not. Shingles pain does wrap around the back.

If the pain is more UNDER the ribs, this could be an issue in the stomach. Sometimes inflammation of the stomach can cause pain right under the ribs.

If you feel that it is more on top, then you may want to take motrin for pain and apply some warm compresses. If you feel that the pain is more under the ribs, try taking some zantac and see if that helps (motrin may make it worse).

Let me know how you do. Rarer causes would be problems with the kidney or spleen- so if you don't feel better, you will need to see your physician for diagnosis and treatment.

Keep me posted.

Please leave positive feedback if this was helpful :-)

I don't suggest you try this and wait to see a doctor.You should see one right away.
I think that you can try these measures and save yourself the time and expense of seeing a doctor. That is why you came to this website, correct?