Shantal-Mod
Shantal-Mod,
73554018

hi i asked a question earlier bout whether my potassium would

Customer Question

hi i asked a question earlier bout whether my potassium would shoot up cos of havin had something not ideal for my condition i.e a banana smoothie and i am a dialysis patient so i was worried the potassium would shoot up between now and my next session and put me in danger as i been told high potassium does not come with symptoms whether this is correct i do not know but i have just really recently noticed i have a really bad headache and also breathing slightly just slightly heavy so i was worried this may be some dangerous signals occurring ps a few notes that may be worth knowin, i have not yet consumed any food today only tea and the smoothie mentioned above also i have a shunt and also my next dialysis session is at 5 pm tomorrow
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

Do you have chest pain?

Palpitations?

Weakness?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

nope none of the above

I will opt out and would like some other experts opinion on this.

Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
Bananas smoothies are LOADED with potassium, and being a dialysis patient this can put you over the edge.
As well, being a liquid you just consumed, you may also be fluid overloaded.
Honestly, I don't think that you can wait until 5pm tomorrow.
Because your potassium is already going to be high and this may make it worse.
The breathing may be secondary to arrhythmias or fluid overload.

Please go to the ER right away for assessment and treatment.

Keep me posted

Please leave positive feedback if this was helpful :-)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

when i aske this earlier i was told not to worry bout this one slip up i have even more worry now as i have noway of gettin to a hospital at my current living situation will this cause something as bad as death if i waited till the session i seriously have concerns now as i have NO way getting to a hospital at all

Well, you are symptomatic now. If you had no symptoms, that would different.
If you cannot get to the hospital, you can the ambulance- that is what they are there for
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

will this be lie threatening and is there any symptoms of a more severe nature i should look out for

This can be life threatening.
I wish I could tell you that it is okay to stay home, but that would be unethical

Shortness of breath is a symptom, but often you are asymptomatic.

Your best bet is to be evaulated today and now.

Keep me posted.

Please leave postive feedback if this was helpful
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

will on banana smoothie really be life threatening to me i never have any potassium other then under dialysis. also could the headache be related to the fact i have not consumed any food today and have not had any sleep as yet please do forgive me for all my question just tryin to ease my worries as i have absolutely no way of getting to any emergency medical places

I am going to opt out. Because I cannot tell you something you want to hear when it is not right
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.