Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

husband has stents had yearly check up, doc wants another blood

Customer Question

husband has stents had yearly check up, doc wants another blood test for ferritin, wot is this please
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

Ferritin is a test done on blood serum which helps in two ways.

First it reflects the iron stores with in the body, so if some one is anemic (having low number of hemoglobin and red cells due to iron deficiency), the levels of ferritin will be reduced.

Secondly this is an acute phase reactant, which means that any kind of inflammation with in the body can result in increase in the levels of ferritin. There are other acute phase reactants as well such as CRP, ESR, Platelets and Albumin.

So, if there is any inflammation in the body, ferritin will be high, but this will not tell the exact site and cause of inflammation, for which other tests have to be done.

I have also searched a beautiful link for you on this, please click the link below;

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003490.htm

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.