DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Hi I had a mirena coil flitted five and half years ago

Customer Question

I had a mirena coil flitted five and half years ago to help with heavy periods - am now 53 years old. after the first year and a half had no monthly 'shows' and then about a year ago had a monthly ' show ' but really just a 'pinky/ brown ' blob! However last month I had a definite larger show . This week however I have had a proper period with stomach cramps etc .

Three weeks I had a full medical which included an internal ultrasound of my uterus and ovaries - all was ok .

Could it be that the coil has 'run out of juice ' or could the coil have moved - perhaps during the internal ?

Please advise

Carole
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Hello from JA

I am Dr. Thomas, board certified in internal medicine and integrative medicine and I can help you with this and any follow up questions. I cover a lot of ground and might give you an answer or ask for information, but use reply to communicate with me for questions or added details.

Yes
The coil should be replaced at about 5 years

I am actually surprised that your doctors have not recommended this.

This is most likely why it is not working.

Of courfse, you might also be going into menopause.

I suggest your doctors run a sex hormone panel.

And then replace the coil.

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.

Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.