Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I was sick last night after feeling congested and constipated.

Customer Question

I was sick last night after feeling congested and constipated. I took some senakot this morning and have been to the toilet easily. However I feel very sensitive in the high stomach area (solo plexus)and have lost all appetite as I feel sick now and again. Only drinking water at the moment.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.

There are several possibilities to consider in this situation.

It certainly is possible that this could be due to a viral infection of the gut, called a gastroenteritis, and the fact that you were also having congestion would increase the likelihood that it is a virus.

There also can be an acid irritation syndrome of the stomach, such as gastritis or an ulcer.

There are a couple of over the counter medicines that may help ease the symptom. It may help to use a medicine to suppress stomach acid, such as Zantac, Prilosec, or Prevacid. It also may help to use an antihistamine, such as diphenhydramine, which may help ease the felling of sickness.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I regularly suffer from acid in my stomach, especially the day after drinking my favourite alcoholic drink cider, or after pastry. How do you defuse an ulcer so it is less harmful and irritated ? I will take some phenergan, and I have the last tablet on zantec, but can the be taken on a empty stomach ? Or should I try a bowl of soup ?
If you have a history of recurrent episodes of suffering from acid in your stomach, it is more likely that this episode is also an acid irritation syndrome, such as from gastritis or an ulcer. The Phenergan is fine for relief of nausea, but will usually not promote recovery from an acid irritation syndrome. The Zantac is better at treating gastritis or an ulcer, but if the problem persists despite the Zantac, the Prilosec or Prevacid would be more potent at controlling stomach acid. Any of these medicines can be taken on an empty stomach.

The other issue to consider in someone with a persistent or recurrent acid irritation syndrome of the stomach is whether there is a germ present in the stomach that is contributing to the problem. This germ is called H. pylori, and does not cause a stomach infection in the same way as other germs infect the stomach, but it is the most common reason for stubborn gastritis or ulcers. If this germ is present, it would typically require antibiotics in addition to either Prilosec or Prevacid.