Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

i have had vertigo for 8 yrs. how can i stop this.

Customer Question

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.

DrK99 :

Hello, this is Dr K. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a Dr/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

DrK99 :

Hello and welcome, what the cause of your vertigo and have you seen an ENT Dr yet? What medications have you tried if any?

JACUSTOMER-s99cgjnm- :

I HAD A BAD RELAPS WHEN I HAD MY LUMBER PUNCH TO CONFIRM M.S. 10YRS AGO.

JACUSTOMER-s99cgjnm- :

I HAVE BEEN TO ENT, SPECIALIST AND NOTHING WAS WRONG.

JACUSTOMER-s99cgjnm- :

PLEASE CAN U HELP ME GET THIS VERTIGO TO GO AWAY

DrK99 :

What medications have you tried if any? I see that no diagnosis was made.

DrK99 :

You will want to see a neurologist for further testing

DrK99 :

If you have not been on a diuretic pill, or water pill, you should try this next.

DrK99 :

Second, you should get a referral to a physical therapist for balance retraining.

JACUSTOMER-s99cgjnm- :

I AM SEEING A PROFFESER FOR M.S. I HAVE BEEN TO PHYSIO TERAPY. I AM NOT TAKING ANY TREATMENT TABLETS.

DrK99 :

That is great that you are in PT. I am not sure what your professor specializes in but if not neurology, then that is the specialist you need. You can also try a diuretic or water pill.

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.
Your doctor may prescribe a medication to reduce fluid retention like the drug combination triamterene and hydrochlorothiazide (Dyazide, Maxzide). Reducing the amount of fluid retention in your body may help regulate the fluid volume in the inner ear.

Middle ear injections can be done using gentamycin or steroids, this may control vertigo in some people.

Surgery can also be done. One type involves decompression of the endolymphatic sac to regulate fluid levels. Another actually transects the vestibular nerve. These options can be discussed by an ENT Dr that does a lot of surgery.

I hope this is helpful to you.