Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

is it possible to get pregnant at 47?

Customer Question

is it possible to get pregnant at 47?
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 4 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Thanks for this excellent question

Absolutely!

People have gotten pregnant much later than this.

However, if you are on hormone tablets and have not had a period then unlikely.

Can you list all your meds for me?

Are both nipples sensitive?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.

Hello, this is Dr K. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a Dr/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

It is unlikely to conceive spontaneously at age 47, though possible. The spontaneous pregnancy rate past age 45 is about 5%. Overall in the 45 and over age group there is about 1 pregnancy per 1000 women.

Many of the stories you read online about older moms are stories about women who have used IVF to conceive and/or donor eggs from younger women. This is costly, and of course, is not your own biologic child as it is someone elses eggs.

If you would like an assessment of your fertility, you can have an AMH (antimullerian hormone) blood test done. It is a measure of how much ovarian reserve you have and whether or not there are significant numbers of eggs remaining.

It is also important to note that the miscarriage rate for a pregnancy that does occur at age 47 is about 70-80%. This is largely due to genetic defects, such as Downs syndrome that are more common with age.

In addition if you have not had a period in 2 years, you are likely past menopause and infertile. You would only be able to conceive with a donor egg and IVF.

I hope this information is what you are seeking.