Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I am due my period but have not yet had it. Instead I have

Customer Question

I am due my period but have not yet had it. Instead I have had some brown vaginal discharge. It is quite light, but has persisted for over a week. I am definitely not pregnant. I came off Dianette about 5 months ago and my acne has came back quite badly over the last few weeks. I'm not sure if this is linked but I am concerned that I continue to have this discharge but no period.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Hi--why were you on the Dianette--for the acne only? When was your last period? Are you saying you can't be pregnant because you haven't had unprotected sex for some time?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was on Dianette simply for acne. My last period was in May, nearly 5 weeks ago. I have not had unprotected sex for some time.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK. Just to be clear--how long were you on the Dianette and before that were your periods regular?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was on Dianette for about 2 1/2 years. My periods have always been regular.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK. The brown discharge could indicate a yeast infection or perhaps a bacterial (not an STD) infection, and you could try Lamisil or Monistat cream for that for now. If that didn't clear it up, you need to have a culture taken. As for the missed period, it could be stress, a thyroid condition, anemia, or potentially a sign of polycystic ovarian syndrome. I would suggest that you contact your gynecologist and get that evaluated.