DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Im sorry if this seems a very general inquiry and probably

Customer Question

I'm sorry if this seems a very general inquiry and probably impossible to answer without a proper consultation. I have suffered a sore throat for 9/10 days days now, it started on the roof of my mouth on the soft palate, only slightly painful when swallowing, it is has seemed to move to the very back of my mouth and again only really feel it when swallowing. It is intermittent comes and goes at different times of the day. There is no sign of the usual cold that follows a sore throat and it is not constant. I have had no real need for medication to sooth it. Seems to go after eating and brushing of teeth. Visually there is no white coating or sores on my throat, no visual swelling of the tonsils etc. Could you please offer any form of possible cause to this, does this sound more like an irritation of the throat. If it was viral or bacterial would I have more visual indication and it would be more painful? I apologise for the nearly impossible question but I am in Africa and unable to visit a doctor as present. So would like your opinion based on the best description I can give
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Hello from JA

I am Dr. Thomas, board certified in internal medicine and I can help you with this and any follow up questions. I cover a lot of ground and might give you an answer or ask for information, but use reply to communicate with me for questions or added details.

If you have no signs of infection this can be from many causes.
A common one missed is acid reflux, even without heart burn.

Irritation from a specific product can do it, such as mouthwash.

Of course viral, but after 10 days one must suspect something like mono, and usually there would be other signs.

Diagnosis starts with examination. Even dental problems can spread main like this, and there are other causes as well if it is persistent such as medications, B vitamin deficiencies, hormonal and psychological problems. And, thyroid of diabetes.

See an internal medicine doctor for exam and testing if this persists.

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.
Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.