Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Hello, I wanted to get some information on treatment for sore

Customer Question

Hello, I wanted to get some information on treatment for sore throat.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Thanks for this excellent question.

I'm sorry you are having this problem.

I need to gather more information in order to give you the best answer possible.

1)were you tested for strep or mono?

2)do you have allergies or acid reflux?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello ,

I was not tested for either, I had itchy eyes and dry eyes so am putting drops for conjunctivitis

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have not got an answer yet. I did reply to the above.

Thanks Ellie.

This sore throat is all allergies in my opinion.

The sore throat, itchy and watery eyes is indicative of this.

I recommend an oral anti histamine like claritin or zyrtec.

I would use a nasal spray like fluticasone as well.

This will take care of all of the symptoms.

Sorry about the late reply :)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can I take the antibiotic and Claritin at the same time? will they interfere with each other?

Yes you can take them.

No they won't interfere
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

do u think a sore throat could be allergy related? if so how long do I take Claritin for?

Absolutely!

the constant drainage commonly causes sore throat

Claritin will work in 24-48 hours
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I forgot to mention that at first , before I saw the dr, I met the nurse who said the same thing that it is allergy related so I did take Claritin for 3-4 days and my sneezing and itching eyes stopped ,however my sore throat was still the same.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
This is Dr. David

I see that you have relisted the question for other experts to help.

I am glad that the claritin has helped your sneezing and itching eyes.

however, you could still be having post nasal drip from allergies and runny nose. this will cause fluid to run down the back of the throat and irritate the back of the throat and cause sore throat.

post nasal drip is usually helped by a steroid nasal spray to decrease inflammation in the nasal cavity and sinuses.

are you having runny nose and post nasal drip? do you think you are swallowing drippings which might be going down the back of the throat?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have a runny nose and feel congested on and off with nose being blocked on and off and a sore throat, sore throat being much more pronounced. I don't feel like I am swallowing nasal drippings , not sure if I have answered your question correctly.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
if you do have a runny nose, then most likely you are having post nasal drip.

you are probably not concious of the post nasal drip fluid going down the back of the the throat and irritating your throat.

you need to talk to your doctor about adding on a nasal steroid spray like nasonex once or twice a day for your allergies along with claritin to help your smptoms.

once you get your runny nose and congestion symptoms better under control, I bet your sore throat symptoms will get better.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

do I continue with the antibiotic as well that I am already taking?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
yes, you need to continue with the antibiotics you are taking.

ask for nasal steroid spray like nasonex to help with your allergy symptoms.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please click accept and leave positive feedback below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Lastly , can I get the spray mentioned from the pharmacist or does it have to be a prescription only?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
these are prescription only nasal steroid sprays.

so you need a prescription from your doctor.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Very good advice and service provided by you. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
you are welcome

best of luck to you

I hope your sore throat feels better

dont' forget to leave positive feedback after one of my reponses so I can get credit for helping you today

you can always reach me with " a question for Dr. David" if you have other questions.

thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Thanks and sorry I was offline.

If you tried claritin already then I recommend a change to zyrtec.

This is superior to claritin but might cause mild sedation.

Use this in conjunction with nasal steroid