DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

My mother has a history of irregular heartrhythm, and once

Customer Question

My mother has a history of irregular heartrhythm, and once was admitted to hospital because of this. Tests showed that she has a strong and healthy heart, though. She was also diagnosed with Bipolar, and probably has a ADHD related condition as well.

I had to cope with ADHD/ADD relates issues as well, and Concerta was prescribed, which has been a life saver for me; I have my life on track now. My mother suffers from the same problems I used to suffer from.

It could very well be that she would benefit from the medication as much as it has benefitted me. Now, I can't risk giving her my pills for a day to see if it would work the same way for her as it has for me, considering her heart rhythm problems history. Would concerta still be wise to try (through our GP/psych)? Thank you so much for your help.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Hello from JA

I am Dr. Thomas, board certified in internal medicine and I can help you with this and any follow up questions. I cover a lot of ground and might give you an answer or ask for information, but use reply to communicate with me for questions or added details.

This would have to be strictly decided upon by the cardiologist, the other doctors and her.

Concerta can cause arrythmias, so it depends on what she has, what type, and risk v. benefit.

It is unlikely that an adult has ADD unless they also had it before age 8, so this all has to be considered.

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.
Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated