Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

i seem to have mental blockage when having sex worry about

Customer Question

i seem to have mental blockage when having sex worry about performing , my doctor whilst subscribing calais says part of the problem is in the mind and suggested i see a sex theripast re hypnocis
whAT DO YOU THINK AND HOW DO I FIND A GOOD ONE
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

yes, I agree with your doctor.

Dr. David :

a big part of sexual performance is in the mind and if you have increased anxiety about sexual performance, this can drive the sympathetic nervous system which will suppress the parasympathetic nervous system and then you will loose your erection.

Dr. David :

finding a good sexual therapist or psychologist can take time and it depends on which institutions you live close to and how far you are willing to travel.

Dr. David :

here is a good article from the UK about finding a good sex therapist.

Dr. David :

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/sex_relationships/facts/sextherapy.htm

Dr. David :

where in the uk do you live?

JACUSTOMER-6vazrpv2- :

lichfield staffordshire

JACUSTOMER-6vazrpv2- :

i do not consider i have received a comprehensive reply , i could have answered this myself either answer my question fully with more details or refund my payment

Dr. David :

are you willing to go down to Birmingham hospital to see a doctor or psychologist there?

JACUSTOMER-6vazrpv2- :

yes but what would this achieve

Dr. David :

this counseling might help you decrease your performance anxiety during sex and might help improve your performance.

JACUSTOMER-6vazrpv2- :

i have seen doctors and a specialist at a hospital but they say it is proberably more psycholical

Dr. David :

yes, I understand that.

Dr. David :

and with psychological issues, it is best to talk to a psychologist or psychotherapist or a psychiatrist regarding the issue.

Dr. David :

these are health care givers which specialize in psychological issues.

Dr. David :

psychiatrists are doctors who specialize in this.

JACUSTOMER-6vazrpv2- :

i dont want to see the same doctors am prepared to go to a sex psycoligist

Dr. David :

psychologist are usually masters strained or PhD trained counselors who can help as well.

JACUSTOMER-6vazrpv2- :

suggestion who and if any costs

Dr. David :

yes, well, I would start by contacting the pschiatry department in Birmingham hospital and see if they have a counselor for you who you can see.

Dr. David :

they would have the best suggestion for you.

JACUSTOMER-6vazrpv2- :

not really learning anything i dont know already

Dr. David :

this is their webpage

Dr. David :

http://www.bsmhft.nhs.uk/

Dr. David :

here is their contact information.

Dr. David :

Main switchboard: 0121 301 0000

Email: [email protected]

Our trust headquarters:

B1, Unit 1
50 Summer Hill Road,
Ladywood
Birmingham
B1 3RB

Dr. David :

do you have other questions?

JACUSTOMER-6vazrpv2- :

no as i dont think i am really getting answeres to my problem only been referred to others

Dr. David :

I am sorry that we can not do indepth psychological counseling online.

Dr. David :

there are some places which are doing that in the US, but I don't think there are places in the UK yet.

Dr. David :

and most psychologist will need to see you first and meet you first before they start to do psychological counseling online or over the internet.

Dr. David :

why did you rate poor service?

Dr. David :

I have been trying to help you

Dr. David :

so because psychological counseling can't be done online, you have to see a person face to face.

Dr. David :

that is why I have to refer you to a psychiatry department where you can be fit with the best counselor possible.

JACUSTOMER-6vazrpv2- :

because i really got no help from you these answers could have been adswered by anyone, no advice or help was given only reference to others and other web pages

Dr. David :

I told you about the different type of counselors you could see.

Dr. David :

and I helped find the largest medical center with a psychiatry department where you can be seen in which is close to you.

Dr. David :

let me know if you have other questions.

Dr. David :

thanks for using JustAnswers.com