DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

hi, my 10 month old has been given amoxicillin for an ear and

Customer Question

hi, my 10 month old has been given amoxicillin for an ear and throat infection- when I took him to the doctor he had a slight rash all over him already but very faint and she said it was nothing to worry about. Since he started the medicine yesterday, he woke up with severe nappy rash this morning which has worsened throughout the day, could this be the antibiotic??
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.

I am Dr. Thomas, board certified in internal medicine and I can help you with this and any follow up questions. I cover a lot of ground and might give you an answer or ask for information, but use reply to communicate with me for questions or added details.

This is unlikely unless he has had the antibiotic before.
And since he had the rash before the antibiotic.

However, it still could be the antibiotic if the rash is now spreading.

I would suggest that you play it safe and talk to the doctor today and make a decision.

Most ear infections in kids do not need antibiotics.

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.
Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.