Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi Ive got bad stomach pains all round my stomach I also have

Hi I've got bad stomach pains all round my stomach I also have chest pain that feels as if its been push on my chest and I haven't been able to got for a poo propertly went to the doctors and all I got was movical lax thanks
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
How long this pain been bothering you?
Is there any tenderness when pressing on the chest or abdomen? If so, where is the tenderness?
What evaluation has your doctor done?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
A week now and it just pain like pushing on chest my stomach like stomach ache and my doctors just felt my stomach and chest and listened to my chest then just gave me the movicol
Has the Movicol helped ease the difficulty with bowel movements?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It did start to but last night and today I've had no luck I've not been able to go I can wee ok just not poo
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi it did but not since last night
Thank you for the additional information.

There are several issues to consider in this situation.

There are many different possible causes of abdominal pain. It is true that one of the possible causes is constipation, particularly if more severe, so if there is no apparent other cause on exam, it would be reasonable to try a course of a laxative. Since the doctor did not order any other tests and tried the laxative, that would usually indicate that there was no worrisome findings on exam, and if so, a trial of a laxative would be appropriate. However, since there has been no improvement in the symptoms with the laxative, it would be appropriate to pursue further evaluation.

The most common cause of abdominal pain of relatively short duration is a viral infection of the gut, called a gastroenteritis. There also can be other types of infections (bacterial and parasitic) of the gut, but these do not occur as often as do viral infections. Other common causes of abdominal pain include acid irritation syndromes, pancreatitis, inflammatory bowel diseases, and irritable bowel syndrome.

Although it would require further evaluation to identify the specific cause, there are a couple of home interventions that can be tried to see if the pain can be eased. It may help to use a medicine to suppress stomach acid, such as Zantac, Prilosec, or Prevacid. It also may help to try some Benadryl (diphenhydramine). If these interventions do not help ease symptoms, then it would be appropriate to be seen again for further evaluation, and it may need an evaluation by a Gastroenterologist.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.