Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi Im 47 years old and have been having irregular bleeding

Hi I'm 47 years old and have been having irregular bleeding between periods, with lots of back pain and bleeding after intercourse went for a smear today to be told the doctor was unable to take one as there was bleeding (not a period) and took swabs instead and I have to go and see a gynaecologist didn't really explain why can you ?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.

He has referred you to a Gynaecologist to determine the cause of the bleeding. Any time there is significant bleeding between periods, it is appropriate to determine what is the cause of the bleeding. There are many possible causes of bleeding, including infection, benign overgrowth of the lining of the uterus, benign tumours within the uterus, and even cancer. It is more likely that it is not cancer, but there still should be testing to determine the cause and confirm that it is not cancer.

Your doctor probably did not want to go into detail of the possibilities because many people become frightened if they know that cancer is a possibility. Learning about it over the internet can also be frightening, but the other side of the coin is that if it is cancer, a proper early evaluation is the best route by which the cancer can be cured. I also do not want to frighten you, as it is more likely that it is not cancer, but it is important for you to be seen.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.