DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

What is a "Beta blocker"?

What is a "Beta blocker"?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Hello from JA
A beta blocker is a blood pressure medicine.
It's main use is to lower blood pressure, but can be used to lower heart rate, can be used in hyperthyoidism, and can be used for performance anxiety [off label].

Propanalol is the classic beta blocker used for performance anxiety, but was the only beta blocker for a period of time.
Now there are a number of them.

For performance anxiety I would still use propanalol, and it would only be taken before the public speaking.

Drugs are not the first method I would use, as I think the underlying problem needs to be treated, and cognitive behavioral therapy, desensitization therapy, or homeopathy are my first choices.

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.
Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.