Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

Hi ,this is probably nothing to worry about but on Friday night

Customer Question

Hi ,this is probably nothing to worry about but on Friday night when I was making myself some tea .I was using a clicker to light the grill but it must not have lit correctly when I had finished there was a smell of gas for 5-10 mins. I opened all the doors and windows straight away ,but I have had a headache and felt dizzy and I've been a little bit shaky. This isn't any sign of gas/carbon monoxide poisoning is it.
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 4 years ago.

Dr. P Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello would you like to chat on this?

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello do you see my message? please type your response and press enter or reply to send the message

Dr. P Jyoti :

are you having any symptoms now?

Dr. P Jyoti :

Dr. P Jyoti :

are you having any symptoms now?

Dr. P Jyoti :

Dr. P Jyoti :

I was trying to chat live with you.

Dr. P Jyoti :

There is a danger of carbon monoxide poisoning when stoves are leaking

Dr. P Jyoti :

but in this case your exposure would be very mild indeed

Dr. P Jyoti :

it would not cause such long term effects

Dr. P Jyoti :

the headache and dizziness that you felt after the exposure was likely to be from the carbon monoxide poisoning

Dr. P Jyoti :

but usually it should not persist till now with this small exposure

Dr. P Jyoti :

if you are still having symptoms, it is possible that the exposure was quite high or that there is continuing gas leak and continuing exposure

Dr. P Jyoti :

if you are still having a headache or feeling dizzy, see your doctor once for this and have it looked up

Dr. P Jyoti :

also have a checkup if you have any cardiological or lung problems which can excaberate effects of CO poisoning

Dr. P Jyoti :

otherwise if you are not having any symptoms now, it is safe to say that the exposure has passed without incident

Dr. P Jyoti :

however, you can consider installing a CO monitor in the kitchen to prevent future leaks

Dr. P Jyoti :

take care

Dr. P Jyoti :

If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, please rate my service.

Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Bonus is always welcome Thank you.

I was trying to chat live with you.

take care

Dr. P. Jyoti

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Is there any further information that you need? Please do write if you wanted to know something more.

Do write back to me if you have any follow up questions,

Dr. P. Jyoti