Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

hello my daughter has a car crash nearly 3 years ago and suffered

Customer Question

hello my daughter has a car crash nearly 3 years ago and suffered whip lash she has had cronic pain in her ears since but with numerous mri scans nothing showed up until routine x ray for wisdom teeth showed elongated styloid prosess she is getting terrible throat cramps should I wait for appointment from dental consultant or should I take her to a and e
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 4 years ago.

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

The Whip lash injury would not cause pain in the ears.

Having enlarged styloid processes is known as the "Eagle Syndrome" and symptoms range from sore throat, facial and neck pains, ear aches, tinnitus, difficulty swallowing and sometimes blackouts due to compression of the carotid arteries.
Throat spasms can be a part of the sore throat and other throat symptoms conferred by this syndrome. If the cramps or spasms are severe enough to cause difficulty in breathing and are a source of pain and discomfort impairing her functional abilities then taking her to the ER will be the best course of action so that an anti spasmodic medication, pain killer and lozenges with anesthetic properties can be given to her.
Steam inhalations thrice a day with menthol, liquid or soft diet, luke warm beverages, and lozenges with anesthetic properties or lidocaine spray along with Ibuprofen (Brufen, Motrin or Advil) 400 mg thrice a day can be taken at home to alleviate the symptoms.
Avoid turning the head in acute angles and avoid odd postures while sitting or sleeping will also help with the symptoms.
A dental appointment will not really take care of the styloid processes since the treatment is a partial styloidectomy which is usually undertaken by a Head and Neck Surgeon.
Hope this helps.
If you need more information or have more queries, reply back without rating the answer.
If you are satisfied, please leave a positive rating for the service.
Best.