DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Hi, For last few months, Ive been experiencing diarrhea once a month, this will l

Customer Question

For last few months, I've been experiencing diarrhea once a month, this will last for 5 days to a week, then vanish and then come back again next month. I've also notiched the diarrhea will start about 5 days in my period or sometimes just when it's finished. My stool will go from a tooth paste consistency then gradually turn very watery and has a soul smell to it.

I've been to my doctor twice and he never examanies me, just says its irratable bowl and that's it and I'm not satisfied with his diagnosis, kinda worried in case its anything more serious.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Hello from JA

I am Dr. Thomas, board certified in internal medicine and I can help you with this and any follow up questions. I cover a lot of ground and might give you an answer or ask for information, but use reply to communicate with me for questions or added details.

This is commonly irritable bowel.

But that is a diagnosis of exclusion.
You are really too young for colon cancer, so that is out.

Diverticulosis , also older people in generally and not just 1 week a month.

Endometriosis is a possibility but this would be quite rare, although it can affect the bowel. Usually there would be painful diarrhea.

Irritable bowel is most likely.

Make sure thought that you stool as been checked for hidden blood.
Rectal exam is needed.

OB exam with pelvic and pap is needed.

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.
Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Can't get one if my doctor won't examine me, and according to him, there are no tests that can be done....

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
You can ask to see a gastroenterologist, who will at least do a stool test and a rectal exam.

There are no tests for IBS, that is correct.