Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

Good day Doctor. I was ill for 8 weeks with severe bronchitis. i

Customer Question

Good day Doctor.

I was ill for 8 weeks with severe bronchitis.

i am now almost cured. I had 3 courses of antibiotics for this.

The main concern is that i had to sit-sleep during this time.

as a result my upper legs are burning. I believe that meralgia paresthetica is the problem.

i have received theraphy heat/laser/interferential theraphy and dry needle. Non had any success.

i went for a voltaren injection 2 days ago and it helped yesterday together with voltaren pills (1x3/day).

However the pain is back to normal again ; left leg burns like hell and the right leg alternates between pin&needles and burning sension.

Yes i am overweight but surely this problem should react to medication / physiotherapy @ least?

i am considering to go back to the gymnasium to do sit-cycle and rowing excersises to strengthen my back - but i am not sure that it is going to help.

currently if i walk for more than 5 minutes my legs burn so much and my lower back is in pain.

please advise or assist?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 4 years ago.

HI, Thanks for your question. My name is Dr Hasan and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also. I need few details.

For how long you have been put on voltaren?

Have you used any OTC pain killer also?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I've started the voltaren pills on monday evening - its now wed morning. i take 3 pills every day . Dr locally suggested only for 5 days or until the stomach starts to give problems must i stop immediately as it can cause bleeding or problems.

The voltaren injection was received on monday afternoon.

OTC? over the counter? i am currently using genpain , neurofen , abflex-4 in various turns

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 4 years ago.
Thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. Burning in legs with lower back pain means that some nerve is being compressed because burning always means that problem is nerve related. You yourself know that your next step is to see a spine surgeon and to get MRI but since you have asked us a question because of your insurance issues, here are few suggestions for you which are likely to help you.

1. If voltaren is helping you then stick to that. Stop other pills because they will affect your stomach. Voltaren can also but at least take one type of pill. Another over the counter option is Tab aleve twice daily. It's better and stronger than tab voltaren. There are cases where we have to give these pain killers for long, so you can add cap Omeprazole 40mg once daily for your safety. It will protect your stomach from the side effects.

2. Always take your pain killer after your meals.

3. Take any OTC (over the counter) multivitamin tablets which contain B12. It is good for nerves.

4. Last thing is exercise, you have to be very careful, I have useful link for you. Just proceed according to that plan. I cannot write everything here because it contains pictures too, so here is the link.

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00302

Abflex is ok but don't do it if you feel pain while doing it. Lastly sleep on a hard surface. Sit cycle and rowing exercises are going to help you. Avoiding lifting anything which is more than 15kg in weight. They can worsen the problem. I hope i have addressed your concerns. I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.