DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have had attacks that consist of a strange aura, usually

Customer Question

I have had attacks that consist of a strange aura, usually consisting of a feeling of deja vu accompanied by trying to recall old memories. The feelings are not unpleasant, but then often lead to a feeling of wanting to faint. Twice, whilst standing, I did faint, but recovered as soon as I hit the floor and observers said there were no convulsions, just looked like a simple faint. The first time I was taken to hospital for 24hrs and given every possible test. ECG, bloods, BP, MRI of brain, but it drew a complete blank and the GP had no further advice to follow. The auras come in clusters, as many as 30 or so over a 48hr approx. period. Each aura lasts no more than one minute and only occurs when I'm not concentrating. Months, often years pass between each cluster and I've had 5 sets in 16 years. Currently suffering one, and GP not very helpful. Research on the internet offers up migraine, transient isclemic attack and temporal lobe epilepsy. Hope you can help
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Hello from JA

I am Dr. Thomas, board certified in internal medicine and I can help you with this and any follow up questions. I cover a lot of ground and might give you an answer or ask for information, but use reply to communicate with me for questions or added details.

You need to see a neurologist
You need a specialized EEG called a sleep deprived EEG.

This sounds like temporal lobe seizures; you don't have to have convulsions, but deja vu is a typical symptoms.

They are hard to see on regular EEG.

OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.
Otherwise please choose a positive rating . But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks, this was my favourite diagnosis. Guess I will need a referrel from my GP

Will this affect my driving licence. I never have attacks whilst driving as I'm concentrating and only pass out if standing

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 4 years ago.
Not if the episodes are controlled effectively.