Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

when wiping bottom after going to the toilet there is a small

Customer Question

when wiping bottom after going to the toilet there is a small speck of blood on the toilet paper. the stools seem ok.
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

This condition is called bleeding per rectum and there are number of reasons for this.

These include;
Inflammatory bowel disease

Diverticulitis

Angiodysplasia

Amebiasis

Infective colitis (recurrent)

Hemorrhoides (the most common)

Trauma due to hard stools/constipation

Cancer etc

All cases of bleeding in stools (before or after passing stools) need evaluation whether this is an old problem or new, or whether bleeding is large or very small.

As per standard guidelines, which declare bleeding per rectum a medical emergency, this should be evaluated ASAP in ER as if left undiagnosed/untreated the bleeding may get worse any time leading to serious complications.

First of all a comprehensive clinical examination, followed by Per rectal examination and Proctosigmoidoscopy will be required to ascertain the underlying cause responsible for this which will direct further management plan.

Until you see your doctor, keep yourself adequately hydrated.

Use fibres in the diet (like metamucil) to avoid constipation/hard stools and hence any further trauma to the area undergoing bleeding.

I would have been worried too if I were at your place, but let me reassure you that this is a treatable condition and carries a good prognosis with appropriate management.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Hello Alan.
I am here for a follow up.
How do you feel now?
Is there anything else i can help you with?
I will be glad to assist.