Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

On May 26, I was seen for BPPV vertigo, doc told me to do physio

Customer Question

On May 26, I was seen for BPPV vertigo, doc told me to do physio to do epley manoever..I was unable to walk until after 2weeks of physio, it corrected right side, but lately since then, I can walk a little unsteady, but like being pulled to left, for the past few days, whats alarming me is, i get waves of dizzyness with slurred speech and left arm weakness, is that normal? or is something going wrong?
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information-

What is your age and gender?
For how long you have dizziness with slurred speech and left arm weakness?
Do you have breathing discomfort?
Are you suffering from any medical condition or on any medication ?
Have you undergone any medical investigations?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

47 female

may 26, 2013 was diagnosed because I was taken to th eER after hours of vomitting and unable to walk with the motion sickness feeling when i got up.

the waves of dizziness with slurred speech and weaknes of left hand now have been about 2 days, on and off..

no breathing problems..

I had a ct scan in ER no stroke, on May 26th..

Im on once a day diabetic pill. and bp meds, candesartan, diltiazem..

bsugars are between 4.6-6.1

normal. and well controlled.

bp is ok.

no other investigations, im afraid to go back to the hospital to be honest:(

Dear Customer, Thanks for providing quick additional information.
I can understand your concern.

There are few neurological conditions which can cause dizziness, left arm weakness, and loss of balance because the brain cannot communicate with the rest of the nervous system.

Some examples of these condition are- Stroke, Parkinson’s disease, hydrocephalus, and spinal cord disorders, Multiple sclerosis, TIA.
Heart disease can also cause such symptoms.

It is not normal to have left arm weakness, dizziness and slurred speech.
You may need Carotid ultrasound, Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and blood work for diagnosis.
A thorough clinical examination and detail testing should be done for precise diagnosis.
Please don't be afraid, it is important to get accurate diagnosis ASAP.
I advise that you should not delay and rush to ER ASAP for prompt treatment.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

is this associated with Vertigo or is it a complication of it? or something that is entirely just another condition?

Dear Customer, Thanks for asking follow up question.

BPPV can also cause such associated symptoms.
However slurred speech along with left arm numbness can be indicative of another medical condition.

A complete thorough clinical examination and tests should be done for precise diagnosis.
At this stage, my goal is not to increase your fear for serious issue.
However, such symptoms can't be left ignored.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what tests should they do then?

do you think i ll have to stay in the hospital?

can this be fatal?

I can understand your concern.

You may need following tests-
-Brain and nerve studies like- Electroencephalogram
-Lumbar puncture (spinal tap)
-Neuropsychological tests
-Blood tests, such as a complete blood count (CBC), blood sugar, electrolytes, liver and kidney function, and prothrombin time.
-EKG, Carotid ultrasound/Doppler scan.

Regarding hospital stay, this can be judged only after clinical evaluation and test results.

Once tests are done, accordingly line of treatment can be advised.
If left ignored, may be this can be have serious effects.