Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Hi, I have just the test on cortisol level back, they are outside

Customer Question

Hi, I have just the test on cortisol level back, they are outside of healthy limit in the morning and around noon and within the norm later in the afternoon, I am able to function throughout the day looking after my three kids although fatigue is strong. I am using vitamins and homeopathic remedies to help to support my constitution. Lately insomnia and heart palpitations became strong. I am wondering if possible to get back to full health and return to strong adrenals? Many thanks in advance.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 4 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

What were your cortisol levels?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sample 1 post awakening 11,4 nmol/l

Sample 2 (+4 -5 hours) 4 nmol/l

Sample 3 (+4-5 hours) 4,6 nmol/l inside the healthy range

Sample 4 at 5.30 pm 2,9 nmol/l

DHEA corstisol ratio 1,55 withing the range

There is also definite hormonal disbalance which is now being tested.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 4 years ago.
Are you sure this was cortisol and are you sure about the nmol/l unit, or is it micograms per deciliter?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am just looking at the chart now. Yes it looks like range in an am 12-22 nmol/L and for sample 2 5-9 nmol/L

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the details.

Normally, cortisol levels should be at their peak in the am, that is around 6 to 8 am and gradually become lower by the end of the day, in your case, the cortisol levels are slightly below the normal range and that is not normal.
This can be due to an underlying problem with the adrenal glands, a problem in the pituitary gland causing defective ACTH secretion or can occur due to physical or mental stress, medication etc.
Before treatment, the first step is diagnosis of the underlying cause of the disease, this will entail a full physical checkup and some diagnostic modalities like a CT scan of the abdomen to see the adrenals.
ACTH stimulation test is also indicated here and your physician will order it.
The best course of action will be to see an Endocrinologist who are better versed in conditions that cause low adrenal gland secretions like Addison's disease etc.
Other hormonal fluctuations need consideration as well since, pituitary dysfunctions can cause other hormonal deficiencies as well.
However, adrenal gland disorders are almot completely treatable with hormonal supplements and medication. So, yes, with a proper diagnosis and efficient treatment you will regain your strength and proper functioning adrenals.
Hope this helps.
Please leave a positive rating for the service if satisfied.
If you have more queries or need information reply back.
Best.