Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

What are the causes of a brownish vaginal discharge, small

Customer Question

What are the causes of a brownish vaginal discharge, small in amount which is not caused by infection (swab came back as normal) in a woman of 57 who is past her menopause? This started approx. 1month ago, my doctor has arranged for a scan pelvic/ transvaginal which will be tomorrow but I am anxious to know what the differential diagnosis is particularly if this is likely to be a sign of uterine or other cancer. I last had a cervical smear 1 year ago which was normal. The only other symptom and I'm not sure if this is associated is that I have more urgency on micturition and am passing less volume of urine, but again no infection is present
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I would be glad to assist you today.

The most common cause of a vaginal discharge is an infection, but it sounds like infection has been excluded as a possibility.

It is also possible to develop a discharge because of chronic irritation of the vaginal because of lack of oestrogen after menopause, called atrophic vaginitis. An atrophic vaginitis also can cause some symptoms with urination.

Since infection has been excluded, there does need to be consideration of the possibility of a growth in the uterus, which can be either benign, such as a fibroid or hyperplasia, or malignant, such as cancer. A discharge is not one of the common presentations, but it is possible that it could do so. It is more common for conditions in the uterus to present with vaginal bleeding or pain.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your clear and helpful answer; I'm bracing myself for the worst and hoping for the best

You're welcome. I hope that everything goes well.

If I have answered your question, please remember to provide a positive rating so that I will be compensated for my time.