Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have a dull ache as if slight inflammation in larynx?that

Customer Question

I have a dull ache as if slight inflammation in larynx?that s been around for around a week.not painful but on my mind and at times whenever hot drink acidic ingestion it irritates. I ve had endoscopy for stress with severe reflux an was put on 40mg/day somac tablet to relieve acidity problem more than a year ago,and was told to do so and beware of the slight inflamation in the throat area that was seen as could be bad if not checked..as I drink 3to4 cups pf strong coffee a day it seemed to have exasperated things even though on most occasion I am careful to not take too much acidic food or drinks and try to take some of the tablets which I unfortunately don't religiously.i have like a feeling that my throat passage is a bit smaller than normal and it seems like I do not have much saliva there as per normal..the slight annoyance/pain( 1out of 10) when swallow,saliva or foods is a worry..what can you suggest? Thank you fred
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 4 years ago.

Mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Mysticdoc :

Hi there,

I am Mysticdoc, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to help you with your concerns.

Mysticdoc :

Acid reflux flare up can cause slight irritation of the throat.

Mysticdoc :

Somac dose can be increased to 40 mg daily from 20 mg to help with the irritation.

Mysticdoc :

Another option is to use an antacid like Aluminium and Magnesium hydroxide liquid form.

Mysticdoc :

Also lidocaine mouth wash solution 2% can be used to help with the irritation.

Mysticdoc :

Please continue to avoid caffeine, alcohol and acidic food as much as possible.

Mysticdoc :

Please also see your gastroenterologist for further discussion.

Mysticdoc :

Endoscopy should be repeated within 3 yrs to monitor for any changes in the esophageal lining.

Mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

Please rate the chat Good or Excellent, if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 4 years ago.
Mysticdoc : The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.
Mysticdoc : Hi there,
Mysticdoc : Acid reflux flare up can cause slight irritation of the throat.
Mysticdoc : Somac dose can be increased to 40 mg daily from 20 mg to help with the irritation.
Mysticdoc : Another option is to use an antacid like Aluminium and Magnesium hydroxide liquid form.
Mysticdoc : Also lidocaine mouth wash solution 2% can be used to help with the irritation.
Mysticdoc : Please continue to avoid caffeine, alcohol and acidic food as much as possible.
Mysticdoc : Please also see your gastroenterologist for further discussion.
Mysticdoc : Endoscopy should be repeated within 3 yrs to monitor for any changes in the esophageal lining.
Mysticdoc : Best wishes,
This is the link to my profile: