Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, with wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.
3452947

If somebody has had an attack of MRSA in a foreign country,

Customer Question

If somebody has had an attack of MRSA in a foreign country, (as they also need an air ambulance to fly them back to the UK) how soon after the attack would they be judged to be allowed to fly, also do the UK have restrictions of a time scale after an attack?
Expert:  Dr. Das, MD replied 4 years ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question.

MRSA can be, as you are aware, a very acute disease. It needs to be treated and stabilized as early as possible. Different people respond differently to the antibiotics, depending on the immune system. So ther is no specific time frame which will indicate that the person can be allowed to fly. it will depend on the doctor's decision after an examination.

No, the UK does not have restrictions of a time scale after an attack.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Many thanks, I think that answers my quest ion, my cousin is in. Coma following an accident in Bangkok, and contracted MRSA.
We are hiving to ave a court case here re his repatriation ( just two to one people wanting repatriation ).
I asked the solicitor why the final hearing has to be in September, which seems ludicrous to us in time scale for this. The solicitor told me that he would not be allowed to be flown home for at east two months after the
MRSA was cured. I tended to disagree.

Jeannie
Jean,

Thank you for the reply.

A person with a disease is not allowed to enter a country only if that country does not have that disease among its population.

MRSA is caused by a bacteria called S. Aureaus, a very common bacteria around the world. MRSA is also present among the UK population - so there is no reason to prevent a person cured from MRSA from flying in for a specific time frame.

As long as the person is certified medically capable of flying or of being shifted ( as in your cousin's case) there is no reason for a delay.

I hope that helps.