Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

how soon after breaking her collar bone can my 15 year old

Customer Question

how soon after breaking her collar bone can my 15 year old daughter restart trampolining and horse riding?
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.

I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.

Collar bone or clavicle connects arm to the body. Middle part is the most commonly fractured segment. A figure-of-eight wrap is usually used to support the arm and help keep it in position while it heals. If bones are displaced than a surgery is needed. This can be decided on physical evaluation and a x ray. The fracture generally heals in a month {with children healing is faster}. It may take long if there is associated diabetes or if surgery is needed. She may get back to her routine in around 3 months of time. However this will be decided by her doctor on examination and repeat x ray.

Wish her well.

Best
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the doctor at fracture clinic took an xray at 11 days following fracture and said she could start riding at 8 weeks after break is that right? The doctor seen at 6 weeks after break said he didnt know , didnt take an xray but discharged her anyway. Is that right?

Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.
Hello Rosie,

It generally takes 6 weeks for a fracture to heal - provided there is no displacement of fragments/ there are no associated diseases like diabetes or infection. Horse riding gives significant jerks to the arm and so to the clavicle {as it attaches the arm to the body}. Even if the fracture is healed in 6 weeks If I were you i would avoid any jerks to the clavicle to prevent a re-fracture or displacement.

A repeat x ray is only needed if the doctor on examination feels that there is displacement or mal-alignment of the fracture. I am happy that nothing was found with her and so may be a repeat x ray not ordered.

Best

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

RE: "Even if the fracture is healed in 6 weeks If I were you i would avoid any jerks to the clavicle to prevent a re-fracture or displacement." how long would be reasonable to avoid potential jerks to the clavicle? She is really keen to recommence some of her out of school activities

Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.
I do understand her eagerness. However I would not allow horse riding or trampolining for 3 months.

Best