Dr. Natasha
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine, Ivy League trained
16455829

Hello, I have been a lifelong sufferer of depression, was prescribed

Customer Question

Hello, I have been a lifelong sufferer of depression, was prescribed prozac 6 years ago and it changed my life for the better, for the first time in my life I could function like a normal human being. The drawback was it totally killed my sex drive and made me gain an enormous amount of weight, which led me to quit them 6 months ago.
But even after quitting prozac my sex drive never returned to normal, so after doing a bit of research online, from the reading I did it seemed my symptons I had were all testosterone related, I thought my depression may be a result of low testosterone. So I visited a private clinic and after some comprehensive blood tests it confirmed testosterone levels were on the low side, so I was prescribed clomid, as its supposed to stimulate your bodys natural test levels.
A month into taking clomid my libido has gone up significantly but there has been no improvements whatsoever in my depression and despite the rise in test levels I am still struggling to function like a normal person.
This experience has made me think the only I may be able to function is by taking prozac again, but I am scared of any adverse reactions of combining the 2 drugs, I asked my GP about and did not have much knowledge of this. I was if taking prozac at the same time as clomid is safe?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

there are no drug interactions between clomid and proazc

Dr. David :

so you can take them together.

Dr. David :

hopefully your sexual side effects will not be as bad on prozac this time, now that you are on clomid.

Dr. David :

prozac and other SSRIs still can cause some decrease libido even if you are on clomid.

Dr. David :

you have to wait and see how it works for you.

JACUSTOMER-hj42tv08- :

So there's no way that clomid could decrease the effectiveness of taking prozac, my depression at the moment is really bad

Dr. David :

no, clomid will not decrease the effectiveness of prozac.

Dr. David :

if your depression is bad, you need to get back on the prozac

Dr. David :

remember, it can still take 2-6 weeks for prozac to start to work for your depression.

Dr. David :

hopefully it will be faster this time since you have been on it before.

Dr. David :

you have prozac at home already?

JACUSTOMER-hj42tv08- :

Yes I do, I was just frightened I may get adverse reactions, also in the future if I wanted to switch to taking testosterone gel or testosterone injections would that still be okay?

JACUSTOMER-hj42tv08- :

Hello are you still there?

Dr. David :

yes.

Dr. David :

don't be worried.

Dr. David :

you will be fine

Dr. David :

just get back on the prozac for the depression.

Dr. David :

if you have sexual problems after that, you can always talk to your doctor about the option to change antidepressants

Dr. David :

but many of the SSRI antidepressants have sexual side effects

Dr. David :

you can use testosterone in the future on prozac as well.

Dr. David :

just make sure they give you an aromatase inhibitor to block the conversion of excessive testosterone into estrogen.

Dr. David :

excess testosterone can be converted into estrogen and can cause things like breast enlargement if you are not careful with the testosterone.

Dr. David :

do you have other questions?

Dr. David :

if done, please leave +++ positive feedback below the chat box

Dr. David :

you might have to scroll down to see the feedback area.

Dr. David :

you can always reach me as Dr. David if you have other questions.

Dr. David :

thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David :

hello?

Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 3 years ago.
I was following your question.
There are no reported interactions between clomid and prozac. So, yes, you can combine the two medications. Clomid is not going to help your depression, but prozac will. I hope that the combination works for you. Of note, there are other SSRIs which may less of an issue with libido. Of note, wellbutrin has been prescribed for depression and appears to have some of the least affects on libido.
I hope that this helped!
Please leave positive feedback if it did :-)