Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Good afternoon! Im a 29 yrs old male who is keep on getting

Customer Question

Good afternoon! I'm a 29 yrs old male who is keep on getting tonsils stones and my breath is absolutely disgusting! I want my tonsils removed but my GP doesn't wanna give me a referral to ENT...what can I do?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Hi--do you have to have a referral from your present doctor to see an ENT?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No i don't have as working as a nurse on a surgical ward I actually worked with the ENT specialist so I didn't needed any referral!

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK--have you tried talking to that ENT?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My ENT back home can do the operation but I don't wanna take an unpayd leave and fly back home when I can do the operation here and can be payd by NHS

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK--but what I was asking is do you need an ENT referral where you are now to see an ENT there?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

YES I do need!

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
And why won't your GP give you the referral?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Oh don't even ask! My GP is a very difficult person, I have to find another one! I have asked him for a dermatology referral aswell which I'm waiting for 6 months and still didn't arrived yet :(

I will have to deal with him on Monday again when i have my next day off!

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
I see. So how exactly can I help you with this problem?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I just wanna see a ENT specialist that's all...this is why i was asking what to do in case of my GP doesn't wanna give me a referral to ENT

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Sorry for the delay. Would you be able to see an ENT privately--in other words go out of the NHS system
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will try
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Well, I was going to say that if you need the referral to be covered by the NHS and your present doctor won't do that, you could get another primary care physician to do so. Otherwise, you could at least pay yourself for a meeting with an ENT and go from there. You might ask your ENT back home to give a call to an ENT where you are to facilitate the appointment.