Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

Hello I am very concerned about the overall build up of

Customer Question

I am very concerned about the overall build up of body fat having been reasonably fit and a slim size 10 never skinny but I had a operation which stopped me from exercising for a period of a year and now I cannot shift I eat very little good food and swim and walk but cannot reduce anything I am feeling very low and my confidence I slipping as I am constantly face to face with client in business
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.

Doctor-Bob :

Hello. There are numerous possible causes for these types of symptoms. Have you seen your GP? Have you had blood tests? Do you know your thyroid levels?

JACUSTOMER-74ik8bhl- :

Eveytime I mention it to the doctor they sign me off and dismiss the age factor which is really annoying. When I mentioned thyroid it the old excuse we can check it but it is constantly changing. I know something is wrong with me I am D deficient which I take medication for. I know we all fill out a little with age I am under no illusion that I can have my 20's body back but having always looked after my self and this constant tiredness I can sleep anytime even if I have had 8 hours sleep. My blood pressure is always and has always been low even through child birth never went up and one labour was 23 hours! I hate what is happening to me. I work full time is a responsible position which I enjoy and the stress mostly is positive stress. I don't drink only occasionally maybe 4 glass of wine a month even less sometimes the odd beer. I do sit a lot but try to stand when on the phone. I am out and about visiting clients all over south of England. I take Opreprozole otherwise constantly sick and cannot eat anything I am currently seeing consultant for this.

JACUSTOMER-74ik8bhl- :

are you there

Doctor-Bob :

You should have your TSH and Free T4 levels checked. This is easy to do, and easy to treat if low. It would explain all your symptoms.

Doctor-Bob :

Similarly, you might consider asking your GP for a sleep study test. If you have undiagnosed sleep apnea it could lead to these sorts of things.

Doctor-Bob :

Not to mention put you at risk for high blood pressure and heart disease.

JACUSTOMER-74ik8bhl- :

What is TSH and T4 and I thought sleep apnea was do do with breathing problems? Could I be depressed surely I wouldn't be able to function if I was

Doctor-Bob :

TSH is "thyroid stimulating hormone" and FT4 is the level of circulating thyroid hormone in the blood. They are used together to assess the state of the thyroid gland. As for sleep apnea (OSA), this is when one's oxygen levels fall too low during the night and one fails to get deep, restful sleep. Sometimes there is snoring or brief awakenings gasping for air, sometimes not, but either way the sleep is disrupted throughout the night.

JACUSTOMER-74ik8bhl- :

Yes my sleep is disrupted my husband says I do snore but I though that was because i had a rynoplasti many years ago for severe synusytus (excuse the spelling) I wondered sometimes if I am absorbing the right amount of nutrients from my food intake I have thought about everything and have drawn a blank

JACUSTOMER-74ik8bhl- :

is anyone there?

Doctor-Bob :

TSH is "thyroid stimulating hormone" and FT4 is the level of circulating thyroid hormone in the blood. They are used together to assess the state of the thyroid gland. As for sleep apnea (OSA), this is when one's oxygen levels fall too low during the night and one fails to get deep, restful sleep

Doctor-Bob :

Sorry about that, my computer decided to "update" in the middle of our conversation.

Doctor-Bob :

Your snoring could be a marker for OSA. It would be important to have this evaluated. You might need CPAP to help you oxygenate and sleep better during the night. If so, you will feel much much better.

Doctor-Bob :

Your energy level and stamina will improve. You will likely also stay even more active, both in terms of purposeful and non-purposeful movements, burning off more calories during the day.

JACUSTOMER-74ik8bhl- :

this does not answer reason of weight gain?

JACUSTOMER-74ik8bhl- :

are you having problems with PC

Doctor-Bob :

Technical difficulties, yes...but seem to be OK now.

Doctor-Bob :

The weight gain may be from either a low thyroid or OSA. Either one can slow a person down both in terms of activity as well as metabolism and heat generation.

Doctor-Bob :

This is how we burn off the calories we eat...either through motion (muscular activity, exercise, etc) or by generating heat within the body. Even a few tenths of a degree can make a big difference day in and day out...though you might feel the same and still have a normal temperature when measured.

Doctor-Bob :

Does this make sense?

JACUSTOMER-74ik8bhl- :

yes so I need to get my thyroid levels checked and discuss sleep apnea

Doctor-Bob :

That would be where I would start if you came into my clinic with this history. If you have either you are at a big disadvantage in terms of controlling your weight. If your work up turns up normal, then it would make sense to pursue the depression possibility, as this can also be subtle and yet quite debilitating.

JACUSTOMER-74ik8bhl- :

Where is our clinic based

Doctor-Bob :

I'm in the US, but your GP can initiate this work up. It requires only a physical exam and some screening blood tests, and a referral to a sleep clinic if indicated.

Doctor-Bob :

If your current doctor is not being thorough enough, you should change doctors, or ask for a referral to a specialist.

Doctor-Bob :

Did you have any follow up questions?

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Hi Corinne. I did not hear back from you. Did you still need assistance with your medical questions? Please let me know if you do and I would be happy to help you further.
...
If you have no more questions, a positive rating would be much appreciated. Thanks so much
...
Regards,
Doctor-Bob