Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

i am due to have a mri scan and am worried about ,my doctor

Customer Question

i am due to have a mri scan and am worried about ,my doctor has given me diazapam to take for a week before ,as i have copd and emphesma does ths sound right
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
Do you mean that you are worried and anxious now about the MRI that is to be done?
Or are you someone that gets anxious when an MRI is done, such as someone with claustrophobia?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes i am worried now

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

waiting for your reply

Thank you for the clarification. I'm sorry for the length of time that it takes me to type an answer.

If you are worried now and having significant symptoms, then it would be reasonable to use a medicine now for relief of anxiety.

It is far more common to encounter people that are anxious about having the procedure done, and in that setting the medicine (such as diazepam), would be only given shortly before the procedure.

However, if you are worried now, your doctor apparently judged that it would be beneficial for you to use diazepam to relieve anxiety now during the time that you are waiting to have the MRI.

The only other issue would be the fact that you have COPD/emphysema. Most people with COPD/emphysema can tolerate the use of diazepam, but in people with more severe disease, the use of any sedating drug should be done cautiously, either by avoidance or the use of lower doses.

Therefore, yes, it sounds right that diazepam would be used for the relief of symptoms in someone that is significantly worried in anticipation of any test, including an MRI. If your COPD/emphysema is more severe, it would be appropriate to be cautious and use it only to the extent necessary.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.