Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

hi my wife she is in afghanistan she has headach its been a

Customer Question

hi my wife she is in afghanistan she has headach its been a few weeks and still she has the headache . she went to a few doctors
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

Does she have fever?

Vomiting?

Problems with vision?

How severe is the head ache?

What kind of medications she has taken?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

fever ?

Ans: no but i feel my head is warm .

vomiting?

Ans no

problems with vision?

Ans: sometime she feel she cant see

how servere is the headache?

it been a few weeks sometime strong sharp sometime just bad head ache sometime just right hand side of head .

what kind of medication she has taken?

Ans: frist prescription

cafixime

azithromycin dehidrrate

clemastin

+pseudoephdrine hcl

second prescription

ciprofloxacin

amoxycillin+ clavulanic acid

not sure about this one >>cefixime

third prescription

azithromycin dihydrate

i am so sorry i think mixed up may be but these are the medication she is been taking

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i am waiting for yoru answer thanks

Thank you very much for the useful information Mangal.

I can clearly see from the prescriptions you have mentioned that she has been treated with a number of different antibiotics as well as decongestants.

This is a standard prescription used to treat sinus infections, which classically gives a person localized or generalized head ache with or with out nasal discharge.

This may take few weeks to settle down completely and sometimes the acute sinus infection may get prolonged to run a chronic course called (chronic sinusitis). It is not only the infections, but also other causes responsible for sinus inflammation such as allergies. Then there are other causes for similar symptoms such as meningitis and encephalitis (both are infections of brain ---- but seems least likely in her case as if left undiagnosed and untreated a person can die of these infections with in hours).

Tension head ache is another important cause which can give a persistant headache due to inadequate sleep, physical or mental stress (which results in spasm of muscles in the scalp secondarily giving a person headache).

Migraine is another kind of headache usually associated with nausea and vomiting (but this is a frequently recurrent problem and there is usually a preceeding history of similar attacks as well).

So you can see that there are number of reasons for such kind of head ache, and if no improvement has been shown, ideally she should see an internist or a neurologist discussing all these details with the doctor to have a comprehensive clinical examination aided by tests like CBC, x-rays of sinuses etc. Once a specific cause is identified, only then a targeted management plan can be instituted.

Also, she has not received any kind of pain relieving medications. She can take Paracetamol or ibuprofen (available over the counter) or even a combination of both these medications for symptomatic relief from head ache.

And if she has already used these drugs with no effect, she should ask her doctor for prescription strength strong pain medications such as tramadol or oxycodone.

At this point onwards, she needs more evaluation and should not delay it.

She should maintain adequate hydration (drink plenty of water).

Have rest.

Avoid caffeinated drinks.

Avoid alcohol and smoke.

Steam inhalation, green tea and honey water --- all will help.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.