Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

hello I have taking prozac for clinical depression and although

Customer Question

hello I have taking prozac for clinical depression and although it has improved my mood it has also totally killed my and caused to gain weight. I have done some reading on 5htp, is this something that can be used as an alternative to prozac to treat clinical depression?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, this is Dr K. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a Dr/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

I assume you mean it killed your sex drive. Consider another antidepressant such as wellbutrin.

Don’t use 5-HTP as it might be unsafe. There are reportsin people who have taken it of eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome (EMS), a serious condition involving extreme muscle tenderness and blood abnormalities (eosinophilia). Some think the EMS might be caused by an contaminant in certain 5-HTP products. There is not enough evidence to know if EMS is caused by 5-HTP, a contaminant, or other factors.

I would avoid it and try to work with your Dr regarding a different medication instead.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello is wellbutrin what it is known as in the UK because when I tried to do a wikipedia search on wellbutrin, it came up under the name of Bupropion, I wonder this is a name you are familiar with?

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.
Yes, sorry. That is the generic name. It should have fewer sexual side effects and be less likely to cause weight gain.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If I ask my GP to switch me to this, do you think they would do?

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.
Yes I do. Its an antidepressant and does not have many side effects.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 4 years ago.
You can obtain generic buproprion online. It is manufactured by several companies including Anchen, Watson, Actavis, and Mylan. The extended release generic that was found to be less effective has since been taken off the market. I see you opened a new question on this same topic.