Dr. Natasha
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine, Ivy League trained
16455829

i am having pains in my foot whilst walking - i am wondering

Customer Question

i am having pains in my foot whilst walking - i am wondering it it the beginning of arthritis.
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 3 years ago.

Dr. P Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello would you like to chat on this?

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello do you have any pain after waking up in the morning

Dr. P Jyoti :

how long have you had this pain?

Dr. P Jyoti :

hello please respond to my message

Dr. P Jyoti :

how long have you had this pain?

Dr. P Jyoti :

please type your response and press enter or reply to send the message

JACUSTOMER-els7wwvf- :

no only when i am walking

JACUSTOMER-els7wwvf- :

only when i am walking.

Dr. P Jyoti :

how long have you had this pain?

JACUSTOMER-els7wwvf- :

not long a few months now

Dr. P Jyoti :

do you have pain in any other joints like the knee or shoulder joint?

JACUSTOMER-els7wwvf- :

no

Dr. P Jyoti :

is there any swelling of the joints of the foot?

JACUSTOMER-els7wwvf- :

no

Dr. P Jyoti :

well in that case this does not sound like arthritis but more like a ligament or tendon pain

Dr. P Jyoti :

arthritis usually begins with pain in the big joints like the knee or shoulder joint

JACUSTOMER-els7wwvf- :

what should i do with it.

Dr. P Jyoti :

some forms of arthritis like gout starts in the foot but usually there is swelling and tenderness of the joints

Dr. P Jyoti :

in the absense of these symptoms, tendon or ligament injury is more likely rather than arthritis

Dr. P Jyoti :

treatment for such pains is usually with binders and physiotherapy

Dr. P Jyoti :

binders like crepe bandage or specialized foot splints can be used

Dr. P Jyoti :

foot exercises can also be advised which will help to heal

Dr. P Jyoti :

but you need to see your doctor first

Dr. P Jyoti :

your doctor needs to examine the foot to determine the cause of the pain

Dr. P Jyoti :

tests like blood tests are needed to rule out arthritis

Dr. P Jyoti :

MRI can also be done of the foot if your doctor wants to find the point of injury

Dr. P Jyoti :

your doctor can also advise you on the best types of splints to use and also the appropriate exercises

Dr. P Jyoti :

so see your doctor for this

Dr. P Jyoti :

it is best to see an Orthopedics doctor who are the appropriate specialists for this

Dr. P Jyoti :

ask about arthritis and about tendon and ligament injuries

Dr. P Jyoti :

ask about doing blood tests for arthritis and also whether an MRI is necessary

Dr. P Jyoti :

also ask about foot binders and physiotherapy

Dr. P Jyoti :

this will help you get an informed discussion and help you to get the best care

Dr. P Jyoti :

take care

Dr. P Jyoti :

these steps will help you find a solution for your pain

Dr. P Jyoti :

If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, please rate my service.

Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Bonus is always welcome Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti

Dr. P Jyoti :

do you have any other questions?

JACUSTOMER-els7wwvf- :

no

Dr. P Jyoti :

glad to help

Dr. P Jyoti :

You now need to give a rating if the answer has satisfied you and you have no more questions.
We are paid only when a positive rating is given.

Dr. P Jyoti :

is there any other information that you need?

Dr. P Jyoti :

any more questions?

Dr. P Jyoti :

Hope that satisfies your query. If so, please choose a positive rating.

If you have any other queries, do ask. Wish you good health and a quick recovery. Bonus is always welcome!

Dr. P. Jyoti

Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 3 years ago.
I was following your question.
I have some additional information

In the United Kingdom, the specialist for you to see is a podiatrist, not an orthopedic surgeon
As well, there are a couple of causes for this foot pain which should be mentioned- one you could have an occult foot fracture- you may not remember the trauma, but you may have one from walking or running. This needs an xray to assess.
Another cause of this could be inflammation of the tissue at the bottom of the foot. This is called plantar fasciitis. The treatment for this is stretching the toes by pulling them back and taking motrin or ibuprofen as needed. Other less common causes would be a neuroma or tendon/ligament issues as described above.
At this point, I would suggest, getting comfortable shoes fitted by a proper salesperson with inserts, if needed. Take motrin as needed for pain and stretch out the toes every morning.
If you still have pain after about 3 weeks of doing this, then see a podiatrist.

I hope that this helps!

please leave positive feedback if it did.