Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hello I take prozac for depression and its causing sexual side

Customer Question

Hello I take prozac for depression and its causing sexual side effects and weight gain. I have heard wellbutrin might be a good option for me, but I read that wellbutrin is only prescribed in the UK for people who want to quit smoking, so its highly unlikely my GP would switch me to this. However I have found an online pharmacy which sells a generic wellbutrin called (bupropion sr), do you think this would be safe and effective to take?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 years ago.
There are two levels of answer to this question.

If you are asking whether generic bupropion SR obtained from a valid pharmacy would be safe and effective, the answer is yes. When I prescribe Wellbutrin, I routinely allow for the use of the generic.

If you are asking whether an online web site that offers prescription medicines without a prescription can be trusted, the answer is no. Although some of these medicines are true medicines, there is a tremendous risk of receiving counterfeit medicines from a web site that already shows that they are willing to try to bypass legal expectations.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

okay, are you aware of anything else like welbutrin that doesn't sexual dysfunction and weight gain, which is actually licensed in the UK to treat depression?

The Wellbutrin is the antidepressant that is least associated with sexual side effects and little weight gain. The other antidepressant that is also associated with a lesser risk is mirtazapine (Remeron).