Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Been given very low dose of Amitriptyline - 10 mg per day.

Customer Question

Been given very low dose of Amitriptyline - 10 mg per day. Useless so far.
Can I still take Zopiclone 7.5 every night?
Also large doses ibuprofin for major pain in lower right back and even more in right leg. Awaiting injections (2 months first appt. ?). Have had epidural to no effect. Can I continue with ibuprofin - can hardly walk.
Doctors don't seem to understand I am in such pain.
Expert:  Daniel Sheibley, MD replied 4 years ago.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

There is a moderate interaction between zopiclone and amitryptiline in the sense that it may increase the side effect such as dizziness, drowsiness and decreased concentration.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

ibuprofen can be taken with these medications as there is no widely publicized adverse side effect between ibuprofen and these medications.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Regarding the amitryptyline and zopiclone, limiting alcohol and avoiding driving until you know how the combination effects you is advised.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

If the same physician did not prescribe these to you, please make sure that the prescribing doctors were/are aware of all the medications that you take.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Did I answer your question? If you want to discuss this more please feel free. If you accept my answer, please choose accept / 3-5 rating.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Hello, There is a moderate interaction between zopiclone and amitriptyline in the sense that it may increase the side effect such as dizziness, drowsiness and decreased concentration. Limiting alcohol and avoiding driving until you know how the combination effects you is advised. Ibuprofen can be taken with these medications as there is no widely publicized adverse side effect between ibuprofen and these medications. If the same physician did not prescribe these to you, please make sure that the prescribing doctors were/are aware of all the medications that you take. Did I answer your question? If you want to discuss this more please feel free. If you accept my answer, please choose accept / 3-5 rating.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Hi--I need to step in here. While I agree with what the other expert has said so far, the amount of ibuprofen and acetaminophen you're taking is very worrisome since you may be doing damage to your kidneys, liver, and stomach lining. You need to discuss with your doctor the option of some other type of medication for your pain and you really need to have your liver and kidney functions checked.