Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I am a Diabetic. My doctor has stated that my kidneys are

Customer Question

I am a Diabetic. My doctor has stated that my kidney's are functioning at 50% and have just found out is he right in suggesting I drink lots of water? Why is this?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 4 years ago.

Mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

Mysticdoc :

Hi there,

I am Mysticdoc, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to help you with your concerns.

Mysticdoc :

That is unusual advice with decreasing kidney function.

Mysticdoc :

Normally we suggest the opposite --that is water restriction since kidneys have to work hard with more water intake.

Mysticdoc :

However, there is an exception.

Mysticdoc :

if you are dehydrated, then that can also cause decrease in kidney function.

Mysticdoc :

In that case, a repeat blood test will show improvement with water intake.

Mysticdoc :

However, given the history of diabetes, your kidney problem is likely due to the diabetes.

Mysticdoc :

Too much water is not recommended in that case.

Mysticdoc :

You should consult with a kidney specialist ( nephrologist) for further evaluation.

Mysticdoc :

besides repeat blood test, you will also need kidney ultrasound, urine tests to properly assess your kidney problem.

Mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

Please rate the chat Good or Excellent, if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 4 years ago.
Mysticdoc : The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.
Mysticdoc : Hi there,
Mysticdoc : That is unusual advice with decreasing kidney function.
Mysticdoc : Normally we suggest the opposite --that is water restriction since kidneys have to work hard with more water intake.
Mysticdoc : However, there is an exception.
Mysticdoc : if you are dehydrated, then that can also cause decrease in kidney function.
Mysticdoc : In that case, a repeat blood test will show improvement with water intake.
Mysticdoc : However, given the history of diabetes, your kidney problem is likely due to the diabetes.
Mysticdoc : Too much water is not recommended in that case.
Mysticdoc : You should consult with a kidney specialist ( nephrologist) for further evaluation.
Mysticdoc : besides repeat blood test, you will also need kidney ultrasound, urine tests to properly assess your kidney problem.
Mysticdoc : Best wishes,
This is the link to my profile: