Family Physician
Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  GP with over 27 years experience including emergency medicine
1304720

hi i really would like a 2nd opinion, i have been having diffiiculty

Customer Question

hi i really would like a 2nd opinion, i have been having diffiiculty swallowing and slight tightness of the chest when i eat for the last month, my glands have been swollen now for two months in my neck, i had a biopsy on them and it came back as an inflammation. I am type 1 diabetic and have serious health anxiety constantly worried about cancer. i sometimes get food stuck at the top of my throat just to get food to go down. I am so scared i have eosophagus cancer that i refuse to get an endoscopy. Please let me no what my sypmtons sound like.
Expert:  Family Physician replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question:

The chance of esophageal cancer at your age is VERY small. This is not a type of cancer that is typically seen in young adults. The median age at diagnosis was 67 years old. Only 0.3% of the cases were diagnosed in individuals under age 34.
http://seer.cancer.gov/statfacts/html/esoph.html

There are conditions MUCH more likely to be causing your symptoms including esophagitis and possibly a narrowing (stricture) of the esophagus.

I would strongly urge you to get an endoscopy since this would most likely identify a cause for your symptoms, it would allow for an opportunity to eliminate the problem (by stretching any narrowing), and relieve your anxiety when it was confirmed that you DO NOT have cancer.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I had an endoscopy 12 months ago and it came back 100% clear my local ent specialist think i have reflux as he put some sort of scope and looked around my throat and said he can see some reflux. Does this sound possible

Yes - esophageal reflux can indeed cause these types of symptoms.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what i meant to ask was that if i had eosopagul cancer now would it not have shown some sort of damage to my eosophagus 12 months ago when i had the endoscopy, i have read on the internet that this type of cancer is caused from previous damage.

Yes - a normal endoscopy last year and your age make esophageal cancer nearly impossible from a statistical perspective.