Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Please could you analyze how this excerpt comes across (in

Customer Question

Please could you analyze how this excerpt comes across (in a recent report, I have received from supervisor).

Consultants and nursing staff have raised concerns that Claire is functioning below the level of her peers in terms of thorough knowledge of patients on the wards and ability to coordinate care so that departments (ward and paediatric emergency department) run smoothly. There have been no concerns raised about knowledge or safety- I have specifically asked team members about this and all feedback has been that Claire is safe and asks for help appropriately. Claire feels that the feedback has come at times when there are staffing shortages on the ward. Initial concerns about timekeeping have now improved. Concerns have been raised about prescribing standards- specifically documenting in capitals as per trust guidance -this has been discussed with Claire twice now.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
I can interpret how this reads to me, but it is really only meaningful in the context of how similar analyses are made of your peers.

Do you know whether analyses of your peers are universally unremarkable (i.e., no deficiencies noted)? Or does each analysis indicate an area for improvement?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't know about analyses of peers.

From my report I am being called to a meeting at training body, I am not aware of other individuals in my place of work being called for the same.

This meeting is to decide ARCP outcome (annual review of competency progression in training). I am at risk of an unsatisfactory progress outcome for the year due to this report.

I'm sorry for the delay because I was away from the computer when you responded.

I asked about the analysis of your peers because there are two approaches to performing such analysis and feedback of staff. There can be an analysis compared to minimum standards of performance, in which most of the analyses of various staff are unremarkable. Or the analysis can be done in the context of finding areas for improvement in all staff, in an effort to coach the staff to ever increasing levels of performance, in which most of the analyses would note areas for improvement.

If you are being called to a meeting to discuss competency, then that would indicate that it is likely the former - that the analysis is in comparison to minimum standards.

If this occurs in the context that the analysis is in comparison to minimum standards, then this analysis would be worrisome, as it notes several areas of deficiencies (thorough knowledge of patients, coordination of care, and failure to meet documentation standards). It also notes one area in which a prior issue has improved.

Therefore, the first impression is that this would indicate significant concerns from the perspective of your supervisor, so they will likely implement some form of intervention, such a the development a corrective action plan to improve these areas of concern.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.