Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Hi There. I need to speak to someone about a member of my family

Customer Question

Hi There. I need to speak to someone about a member of my family who is showing many traits of a psychopath. I'm aware I'm not in a position to diagnose from the many checklists you find and I don't know how to go about arranging an appointment with a psychiatrist or even if that can even be arranged. I am now at my wits end. I know I'm not the one who needs help, but it would be helpful to know what/who I'm dealing with and the best way forward for myself and the rest of my family.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 4 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Thanks for this excellent question

I'm very sorry about this.

Can you tell me who this person is (not by name of course just relation to you) and what behaviors they are exhibiting?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

This is my brother. To say he is a compulsive liar, is an understatement. He arrived in the UK 1 year ago and I've found out recently that when he left his previousl employer, he told them he had to come help my husband in the UK because I had cancer. He works for our company too and has cost us so much money because he is unreliable, inconsistent in EVERYTHING he does. He seems unable to change. His family were nearly thrown out onto the street because he wasn't paying his rent and he didn't seem to care. He did nothing to help that situation. We had to step in and came to some sort of deal with the estate agent. He misuses company finances and just doesn't seem to care about the consequences of any of his actions. There is just something off about him. He is very manipulative and knows just how to divert people's attention away from himself when he gets found out. The lies he has told in the past year are just unbelievable.

Sorry about the late reply Lisa.

Is he drinking or using drugs?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, not that I'm aware of. He is an incredibly secretive person about EVERYTHING even when he doesn't need to be. Who knows.

Has he always been mentally unstable like this Lisa or is this new?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I moved to the UK when I was in my early 20's and before that he was sent to boarding school because of the trouble he kept getting into and the lies he kept on telling even as a young teenager. Until the last year, I haven't really spent much time with him during the past 20 or so years except when I've gone on holiday, so I don't personally know. But his current wife has said that before they came to this country, he did have 'episodes' when he would disappear for days on end saying he was feeling suicidal or something to that effect. He's never actually tried to commit suicide. I imagine that was another one of his manipulative ploys. When we were growing up he was very physically aggressive towards me which amused him to no end. Does that sound mentally unstable.

Thanks Lisa and I'm very sorry you suffered this abuse.

I apologize again for my late reply. I am having technical problems

This sounds to me like he has bipolar disorder. The disappearing for weeks on end is indicative of that.

I don't think he is a sociopath or psychopath but clearly has mental illness

He needs evaluation by a psychiatrist immediately

Do you have this ability?