Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Womans condition. She has very swollen legs has had for some

Customer Question

Woman's condition. She has very swollen legs has had for some time. This swelling now affects her abdomen and still signs of rising. this is accompanied by breath shortage, heavy cough. As she has alziemers disease, GP feels he cannot subject her to testing (?)
since she would find the procedure extremely difficult. can you shed any light what these symtoms are, and what the y may lead to long term? Thank yoy Robert Douglas
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

swelling in the legs and breath shortage is most commonly seen in patients who have weak hearts and congestive heart failure.

Dr. David :

that means the heart is not able to pump fluid around the body and fluid gets backed up in the lungs and legs.

Dr. David :

she needs a diuretic like lasix (or furosemide) to help get rid of this fluid out of her body if her kidneys are working properly.

Dr. David :

and she needs heart testing to see how weak her heart is.

Dr. David :

a simple chest xray most likely will show pulmomary edema or fluid backed up in the lungs.

Dr. David :

I am sorry for this Alzheimers patient.

Dr. David :

let me know if you have other questions.

Dr. David :

hello?