Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

My Neutrophils are low (25.4 in July 2013 and 35.9 in February

Customer Question

My Neutrophils are low (25.4 in July 2013 and 35.9 in February 2012), while the Lymphocytes are high (65.0 in July 201 and 53.8 in February 2012). What can I do to bring them to be within normal levels? What are the risks posed by the low neutrophils and high lymphocytes?

I am in Lagos, Nigeria and you may need to confirm to me that my Nigeria Guaranty Trust Bank Debit Master card will work. Meanwhile, I'll contact my Bank to confirm/approve that I use my card.

Hakeem
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Hi. What about your CBC--the complete blood count? Do you have all that information I can look at?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Platelet Count 192

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
And the total white count and hemoglobin?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

WBC 4.77

RBC 5.18

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK--were you having any symptoms like the flu when the tests were done and has your doctor been concerned about the numbers?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I want your views. If I were satisfy with my doctor's view I won't have contacted you.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
I understand but I still need a little more information as to whether you were having any symptoms of perhaps a viral illness when the tests were done and were you screened for mononucleosis--EBV titers?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

at the time of the tests I was tested for Malarial Parasite and the result was "Few Rings of P. falciparum seen"

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK--and we can continue after this, but I am not really concerned about your numbers. They can be seen with viral infections like the flu or mononucleosis, but another testing may well show that they're into more normal levels. With the rest of your CBC being normal, they don't indicate anything like leukemia if that were your concern here. There are no health risks per se from having these kinds of numbers--it doesn't indicate an immune system problem