Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

My wife was sexually abused as a child. Now at 60yo is extremely

Customer Question

My wife was sexually abused as a child. Now at 60yo is extremely defiant and in total denial that her lack of accountability for being untrusting of me (her husband) stems from her childhood. Can you offer any advice on convincing her to seek help? I think Hypnotherapy could cleanse her mind of the "log Jam" I am convinced exists in her mind??
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

I am sorry for your wife's situation

Dr. David :

she is 60 years old now.

Dr. David :

it is often times very very difficult to change behavior the older patients get.

Dr. David :

it sounds like she has been to many counselors already.

Dr. David :

she must have trusted you at some point to marry you.

Dr. David :

you might need to see a marriage counselor together.

Dr. David :

have you two seen counselors together in couples counseling?

JACUSTOMER-y0p7bg7n- :

Yes numerous times!! The bad times started when she wrote her father confronting him with his deeds when she was a child.He totally dimissed everything and told her she was imagining.That was about 5 years into our marriage and about 15 years ago. - Ron

Dr. David :

I see.

Dr. David :

hypnosis might help her.

Dr. David :

it sounds like she has been battling this deception and abuse from her father for so long.

Dr. David :

I am not sure if she has the strength in her to realize that her past is not her current situation.

Dr. David :

and that you are not her father.

JACUSTOMER-y0p7bg7n- :

Are you telling me that there is probally no chance of her ever taking responsibility for her behavior towards me? I have tried everything and am at my wits end. And am thinking seriously of just giving up and walking away from the marriage. - Ron

Dr. David :

what you are seeing as her behavior against you most likely a defense mechanism of her psyche to protect herself

Dr. David :

what you are seeing as her behavior against you is most likely a defense mechanism she has devised over the years to protect herself.

Dr. David :

I'm sure the situation must be very very difficult.

Dr. David :

I can't say what you should do.

Dr. David :

I can understand if you have to end the marriage.