Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

l used ovestin cream for the first time a couple of days ago,

Customer Question

l used ovestin cream for the first time a couple of days ago, and ten minutes later had a severe migraine headache, which l have still got. Went to the Doctor and he has advised that l try it again in a weeks time, l am scared that l will get the same reaction, l have severe vaginal dryness if their anything else that you can suggest, without the side effects?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 years ago.

Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

I am sorry you had an episode of headaches from estrogen cream.

Dr. David :

I agree with your doctor to try it one more time. this time you can try to take tylenol or paracetamol prior to the estrogen cream to see if this lessens the headaches.

Dr. David :

headaches are a side effect of estrogen cream.

Dr. David :

you can also use KY jelly or lubricating jelly with intercourse to help decrease pain

Dr. David :

are you using lubrication currently?

Dr. David :

have you gotten headaches like this before?

Dr. David :

some doctors might recommend brain MRI scans for headaches like this, but these are expensive scans and will be hard to get in the UK given universal coverage.

Dr. David :

and most likely the MRI scan will be normal.

Dr. David :

and if your headaches go away if you stop using the vaginal estrogen cream, then most doctors would say you wouldn't need an MRI scan.

Dr. David :

you need a gyn examination as well if you are sexually active and routine pap smears.

Dr. David :

a personal lubricant like KY jelly will not cause you the headaches like the vaginal estrogen cream has and will help with the dryness during intercourse.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Hi--I have a different opinion here. First off, any headache that is severe and lasts this long should be further evaluated with an MRI of the brain and even if that were normal I wouldn't advise a different hormone replacement cream for you since if this is a side effect it's likely to occur with any attempt at a replacement. You also need, if not done so far, a further workup to see what is causing your pain with attempted intercourse.