Daniel Sheibley, MD
Daniel Sheibley, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MD Grad Jefferson Medical College 2009. Internal Med intern 2010 & Radiology residency 2011. Husband & father of two.
62460980

I seem to have developed tingling sensations in my toes and fingers over the last month.

Customer Question

I seem to have developed tingling sensations in my toes and fingers over the last month. I am wondering about possible causes. I have been taking Erythromicin for some time for Acne. Was wondering if this is a side effect
Expert:  Daniel Sheibley, MD replied 4 years ago.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

Tingling of the hands and feet is a serious side effect that is documented and requires immediate contacting of the physician prescribing your medication.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

There are other causes of this, from physical injury or pressing on the nerves or changes in the brain which manifest as sensory disturbances, however these are statistically far less likely. You need to call your physician to see if you need to chnge your antibiotic or if they are concerned enough about a potential nerurologic (brain or nerve) cause have you go for further testing such as an MRI. They may also do some blood work because more commonly certain vitamin deficiencies can cause these symptoms as well.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

If you want to discuss this more please feel free. If you accept my answer, please choose accept / 3-5 rating.

Daniel Sheibley, MD :

If you haven't already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.