Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have been on many Axiety/ panic attack medications, like

Customer Question

I have been on many Axiety/ panic attack medications, like Celexa, Effexor, Wellbutrin,Amatripaline. never felt happy on any of them, some made my BP levels very high. I stuck with them for months, starting on the low dose, where possible, then increasing. Anxiety attack for the last 30 yrs, I am a 62 yr old male, any advice for me.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
If there is to be any consideration of whether there is another option of a medicine that can be tried, it would be necessary to know all of the medicines that have been tried.
Have you been on any other medicines than was stated above?
What other interventions have been tried?

I had asked for some further information, but have not yet received a reply.

There are several medicines that can be considered that are not on the list of drugs that you listed in your question.

Buspirone is a medicine that is used for chronic anxiety that works by a unique mechanism, so would be reasonable to try. The SSRIs (such as the Celexa) have become the first line medicines, and have largely replaced the use of buspirone, but if the SSRIs cannot be tolerated or are ineffective, trying the buspirone would be reasonable.

It also would be reasonable to try an antidepressant / anti-anxiety medicine that works by affecting different chemicals in the brain, such as mirtazapine.

It also would be appropriate to consider non-medicinal interventions for treatment for the anxiety and panic disorder. The intervention that is most studied and has had the greatest success is cognitive-behavioral therapy (or CBT).

My goal is to provide you with excellent service and a complete answer. If I have completely answered your question, please remember to provide a positive rating so that I can be compensated for my time. If you have any further questions or need clarification, please let me know.