Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have a lot of small flat moles around the central part of

Customer Question

I have a lot of small flat moles around the central part of my body and I don't know how to get rid of them. Vigorous scrubbing helps to keep them down but is not eliminating them. Can you help?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It will help if you could provide some further information:
I want to be certain what you mean by the term, mole.
Is this a growth within the skin, but flat with the surface of the skin?
Do you have the ability to take a picture and attach the picture?
Over what period of time have these moles developed?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They are small raised areas on the surface of e skin. Unsightly which is why i want to get rid of them. They have been getting worse over last five years. Like a rash. The don't affect my legs or arms. I can send photos but I need an email address. They are like squashed skin tags.
The system does not allow communication via e-mail. However, you can attach image files by using the icon on the tool bar that looks like a paper clip.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry I can't see a tool bar or paper clip. I am using an iPad is that the problem?
Yes, the interface does look different on a tablet.
The other option would be to post the picture on a file sharing site and let me have the URL to access the picture.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will try to send using a pc.
That's fine. Just leave this open and respond when you are at a PC.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Photos sent via Pc. Let me know if received ok.
Thank you for the additional information. Yes, I received the pictures OK, but it takes some time to type a complete answer.

Although it is impossible to make a definite diagnosis over the internet, the appearance on the pictures is more of seborrheic keratoses than multiple moles. It is also true that seborrheic keratoses are more common to arise and get worse as a person ages. Although moles can occur at any age, the vast majority of moles have developed during youth and early adulthood. And although seborrheic keratoses also can occur at any age, they are much more common in middle age and later.

From the perspective of treatment, the first issue is that neither moles or seborrheic keratoses require treatment. If a particular lesion is changing quickly to raise concern about possible cancer, then a biopsy should be performed. But the vast majority do not require treatment.

If considered unsightly, it will usually not be sufficient to try to cleanse the skin, therefore it is not surprising that vigorous scrubbing has not been effective. If it is desired that the lesions be removed, it is possible to perform simple destructive techniques, such as freezing or burning them off (with electricity or acid), although it is frequently impractical to treat all of the lesions in someone with many of these lesions. If you wish to try this to treat some of the more unsightly lesions, there is a form of freezing that is available over the counter (marketed for warts) that can be tried as well as various acids (such as glycolic acid), but a doctor may be necessary if you desire treating more of the lesions.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service and a complete answer. If I have completely answered your question, please remember to provide a positive rating so that I can be compensated for my time. If you have any further questions or need clarification, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Could you explain what seborreic keratoses are and what causes them?

It is not clear what causes seborrheic keratoses. It appears that there is a component of sun exposure and a genetic component in some people, but how these factors cause the development of seborrheic keratoses is unclear.