Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

paedeatric cardiology a pregnancy approx 25 weeks has been

Customer Question

paedeatric cardiology

a pregnancy approx 25 weeks has been identified with a small SVD

how important is it to have a cardiologist present or readily available at childbirth?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
Hi--is there any more information you can give me as to the child's heart condition and has the doctor discussed this with you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the doctor said it will very possibly close up before or after childbirth

the doctor said it was a small svd

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
OK. No, it isn't necessary for there to be a cardiologist during birth or immediately thereafter. Small defects cause no problems in the beginning and often do close after birth. I would have a paediatric cardiologist evaluate the child soon after birth however.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

should a paediatric cardiologist be "on call" during childbirth in case he is required?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 4 years ago.
I see no reason for that at all since there shouldn't be any problem with the birth or with the child. That said, I would have no problem if the obstetrician asked for the cardiologist to be on call